Friday, November 12, 2010

Switch-Hitter



To quote the one and only Britney Spears, “Oops, I did it again.” First, there was my brother’s dog Luna in Atlanta, and just this morning I fell in love with another dog.

This true story has a very quick and happy ending. When I left for the office today around 7:45 a.m., I remember thinking that I actually had no need to arrive at work so early. Was there a reason why the cats let me leave Catland prior to my customary 8:15 time slot?

Suddenly, a small dog appeared out of nowhere. I could tell that she was bewildered and lost, and I hastily presumed she was abandoned. I don’t store dog food for the fun of it, and I’ve never brought a dog to our cats’ feline-only veterinarian. While my husband entertained the frisky and friendly dog, I called Dr. O., asking her to please advise an ignorant Cat Lady on how best to help a stray of another persuasion. I made an appointment with a canine veterinarian so that the dog could be examined properly, and I drove like a bat out of hell to Walgreen’s to buy some canned dog food and a package of bone-shaped treats.

Fast-forward to about 9:30 this morning, when Dr. O.’s office manager called. “Have you seen the front-page banner on chron.com,” she asked? I visited the Houston Chronicle’s website immediately, and there was a picture of our brand-new friend. Her name is Mei Ling and she is part-Yorkie, part-Maltese. We e-mailed and Tweeted all of the contacts listed for probably only five minutes before the pet’s full-time caregiver came forward with great relief. Turns out little Mei Ling has her own media platforms, too, which is no surprise given that she lives with an ABC News political reporter in Houston.

Every dog may have his or her day, but Mei Ling made my day unexpectedly, positively “woofy.”

Query of the Day: Can a Cat Lady bark for joy over rescuing a dog?

No comments:

Post a Comment