Friday, March 8, 2013

Out of Practice



I don’t know what happened to the month of February. It arrived according to schedule, and I lost track of time. I was out of pocket each week because of publication deadlines and commitments, and I worry that I got out of practice writing to you, my fellow Cat Ladies. Yet I wasn’t oblivious to numerous bright spots that appeared on the Cat Lady calendar, so here goes:

The play “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” was in rehearsals on Broadway last month, and many a cat auditioned at an open casting call for the part of the unofficially named ginger tabby “Cat,” who lives with the free-spirited Holly Golightly. And the winner is…?

A SpeedBump cartoon titled “Zen Kitties” described the special “art in the sand” that our cats “make” every day. “And then it is wiped clean to reflect the impermanence of life.” This eloquent prose belongs on a museum wall label!

Photo by Filippo Monteforte/Getty Images

Pope Benedictus XVI resigned, and no sooner was he transported via government helicopter from the Vatican to Castel Gandolfo than the world was introduced to his beloved cat, Contessina, pictured above. She is a beauty, and I can’t imagine a luckier cat. I had forgotten that the Pope Emeritus has written about his boundless love for cats, going so far as to get into the mind of a cat in Joseph and Chico.

Speaking of books, here comes the self-promotion: Copies from the second printing of Cat Lady Chronicles began shipping to feline-friendly booksellers nationwide and across the pond. As always, thank you for your warm support.

My next post will bring me up to date, to this month. I watched a great film classic on TV a few nights ago, and I can’t wait to tell you about my new favorite cinematic cat. Does the name “Pyewacket” mean anything to you?

Query of the Day: Was it just me, or did February come and go more quickly than usual?

No comments:

Post a Comment