Friday, March 26, 2010

Octomom Gets into the Act


Attention all Cat Ladies. We can welcome an honorary new member to the club: Nadya Suleman, aka the Octomom. Well, not exactly.

Ms. Suleman is being paid $5,000 by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to place a sign in the front yard of her house that advertises the perils of animal procreation (and procreation, and procreation): “Don’t Let Your Dog or Cat Become an Octomom. Always Spay or Neuter.” In addition to the handsome payment, which is intended to help save her house from foreclosure, the Octomom is receiving a month’s supply of veggie burgers and hot dogs.

I sometimes jokingly refer to myself as the Decamom because of caring for ten cats. But the resemblance to Ms. Suleman stops at the numbers game and does not allow for financial incentives. I can’t imagine profiting from doing the right and responsible thing when it comes to our pets.

Even if I win an award one day for “Cat Lady of the Month” (a variation on “Yard of the Month”), you won’t see a sign stuck in the middle of my front yard. I like to do my work quietly, behind the scenes, far from the madding crowd that follows the Octomom.

Query of the Day: Would you grab the glory to promote spay and neutering?

No comments:

Post a Comment