Friday, February 25, 2011

Don't Know Much About a Science Book

I am indebted to Heather for alerting me to the latest scientific findings on Cat Ladies. I have never pursued formal studies on the subject, relying mostly on my common sense as a member of the Cat Lady tribe and bolstered by my observations of the feline world. But for those of us seeking clinical confirmation of our kindred-spirit bond with cats, the article in today’s pet health section of msnbc.com is a must-read.

The article begins with this [I-know-that-already] statement: “The bond between cats and their owners turns out to be far more intense than imagined, especially for cat-aficionado women and their affection-reciprocating felines.” The article goes on to describe how women, more so then men, relate to cats, even nurturing them like children. "A human and a cat can mutually develop complex ritualized interactions that show substantial mutual understanding of each other's inclinations and preferences."

I read this article to Lucius, who nodded his head in complete agreement. No sooner did I announce “RITUAL” to Lydia then she sprang into action, running to slurp water from the kitchen sink at her customary hour. As a variation on “You say tomato, I say tomahto,” I said “L.B.,” and he grunted, “food.”

Yes, “complex ritualized interactions” with our ten cats keep me busy at all odd and even hours of the day, and I also understand their sign language. I may not be scientifically inclined, but I am able to interpret He Who Must Be Obeyed.

Query of the Day: How often do your cats return your favors of kindness?

No comments:

Post a Comment