Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Those Were the Days




The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that Cat Lady would soon be there.

Santa has nothing over me. He arrives only once a year, whereas I make my presence known to our ten cats 'round the clock. I ask you: Is there such a person as a non-omnipresent Cat Lady? I cannot imagine.

Catland is fully decorated for the holidays, and the countdown to December 25 has begun. Here is L.B. waiting eagerly by the Christmas tree for his gifts to arrive. Just a few more days! He and all of our cats know that there will be plenty of wrapping paper and ribbons and boxes to play with, and that this Cat Lady will be cleaning up for several hours after the gift-giving session. Kickoff occurs about 5:00 a.m.

And here is Lydia many years ago, when she liked to show off and race up the tree like an athlete carrying the Olympic torch to its final destination. Those were the days, my friend, when Lydia was young and super-energetic and fancy-free. I have to admit that I miss seeing her swing from the tree's branches like a monkey, although I do not find myself reminiscing about watching our hand-picked collection of vintage ornaments fall to the floor, one by one.

Query of the Day: How long does it take your cats to reach the top of your holiday tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment