Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Climbing the Charts

I love when books about cats climb the best-selling charts. There was Vicki Myron’s incomparable Dewey, and now there is a trans-species mystery, How to Wash a Cat, entering at No. 19 on the mass-market list. I read in this past Sunday’s New York Times Book Review that a reviewer on Amazon describes the cats in the book as being “almost as expressive as the people.”

I haven’t read this new book by Rebecca Hale, and I realize I have no business critiquing the volunteer reviewer. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the comment. But it begs the question: Aren’t cats always as expressive as people?

And then there is another book released this week about a cat who functions as an angel of death, predicting when nursing home patients are about to die. The cat also has a gift for bringing peace of mind to the families of the dying patients. I believe that many Cat Ladies will want to read Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat, by Dr. David Dosa.

Something tells me that the book’s title is a soft sell. Surely Oscar is no ordinary cat and will remind each of us that cats are uncommon creatures. My life would be exceedingly ordinary without them.

Query of the Day: What makes your cats extraordinary?

1 comment:

  1. Pharaoh, our one year old bronze Egyptian Mau, lives up to his breed name with his perfect "mau mau" meows. It's easy to understand why the ancient Egyptian word for "cat" was "mau" because that's *exactly* how he sounds. He *loves* watching TV, especially sci-fi, action movies with explosions, and commercials. He's been known to rub his face up against a face he finds particularly attractive on the screen and paws at the person as they move off camera. He also loves playing with his tail and sleeping above my head at night. And he disappears when he's curled up on one of our leopard print pillows. Mia, our Bengal with a coat that feels like mink, has tried to type on my laptop once she discovered tapping on the keyboard makes things appear on the monitor. Sheba, our long-haired, bunny-furred Maine Coon, will open her mouth in a silent "meow" when she's particularly content on my lap. She's also the most vocal and sometimes meows so long it sounds as though she's trying to sing. We also have entire conversations together. I'll meow and she'll answer, and she always meows back when I ask her if she loves me--sometimes silently. Charcoal, our solid black Angora and at 13 the oldest, is a guard cat and will attack anyone she doesn't know who's coming through the window as my partner learned when he forgot his key! It took her a second to change her growl to a meow and lower her extended claws once she discovered who that person crawling through the window was!

    ReplyDelete