Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pitch-Perfect?

You know the voice—the super-squeaky one that never will be heard at Carnegie Hall or at an opera house. I am referring, of course, to the Cat Lady voice.

I was embarrassed yesterday when I entered our veterinarian’s office because the always upbeat office manager addressed me in the voice she uses for speaking to cats. “Well, hello there, you've come back to see us already!” The resident office cats greeted me while the human clients waiting in the office tried their best to smile. A little of this pitchy voice goes a long way, yet I found myself responding in my equally falsetto voice, “Yes, hello, everybody, I’m back!”

Perhaps it’s time to take on American Idol and launch a competition to determine who among us Cat Ladies has the best voice for communicating with cats. I don’t mean the most soothing and melodic voice, I mean the hitting-the-high-note-out-of-the-ballpark voice.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go and warm up my vocal chords: Here Lucius, Lydia, Leo, Lillie, T.J., Perkins, Miss Tommie, Linus, L.B., and Alvar!

Query of the Day: Do you sing to your cats?

2 comments:

  1. You should hear the cooing and baby talk that goes on every day as we communicate with our office kitties!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't sing to our cats, but my older sister does, her favorite lyrics being "kitty kitty coo coo." Sheba, our second oldest kitty and my personal lap cat, imitates my whiny voice perfectly. And she has an *enormous* vocabulary. I've never heard a cat make as many different sounds as she does.

    ReplyDelete